Sunday 1 December 2019

D. R. Downer - The Man Who Wears Many Hats

When I started this blog, I initially wanted to talk about my books. Slowly I ventured into spotlighting books written by super talented authors whose books I've enjoyed. Then came some reviews and recommendations. Despite all this, I felt there was a void. I was meeting (virtually, of course), these wonderful people who had so much to share. That's when I knew I wanted to interview some interesting people who have gone against the tide or colored outside the lines. Thus came 'Coffee with DJ' - a space where I am going to ask some interesting questions to interesting people. Without further ado, let's get into this.

If you are a thriller/mystery fan, you must have heard of D.R.Downer, one of the well-known, prolific writers in the Indian, Indie scene today. Downer is not only an author, but he's also a Ghostwriter and a sought-after editor. After spending years in the Advertising and media industry, in his own words, one fine day he began typing away in his laptop to become a full-time writer.

But, that's not all! We have a lot of interesting questions lined up for DD, who also happens to be my editor and one my favorite people in this world :). How can I then not introduce him to all of you? :)

DJ: Tell us about your journey into writing, becoming an author. What got you started, and how did you become a full-time author?
I guess I was destined to be a writer; only that I realized it quite late in life. I remember one of my teachers from my schooling days, telling me that I would become a writer if not a politician; given the instant stories I used to cook up as excuses for my shenanigans. I spent around two decades in the field of advertising, and for some reason, had started to feel suffocated doing the same thing day in and day out. So, one fine day, I got up as usual, typed out my resignations and sent it to my bosses in the U.S. A week later, I picked up my laptop again and started to write my first fiction. That story went on to become Blood or Water, and it is releasing on the 6th of December 2019; now, 5 years and 18 books later.

DJ: With more than a few years as an author and 18+ books in your name, is there anything that you’d do differently now, or wished you’d done differently?
It might sound clichéd, but honestly, I would not want to change a thing. Whatever little I know today about writing is all self-learned, and that is the way it should be done.

DJ: Lovely! So, who is that someone or what’s that something that inspires you to get out those words every single day? 
If I have to name one person, it has to be my wife. She encouraged me to take up writing full-time when I was in a dilemma about it. Now, I’d say inspiration comes from everything and everyone around me, sometimes from completely unexpected quarters too. 

DJ: What’s your favorite part in the book-publishing cycle?
Being a pantser that I am, I’d say coming up with stories and penning them down, imagining various options of every scene as it comes up, and deciding which one to present to my readers is what excites me most.

DJ: Apart from being a writer, you are also a very successful editor and a ghostwriter. What do you like the most about these two profiles?
Editing is what I enjoy the most. Reading the stories written by writers who, in most cases, I hadn’t even met, understanding their way of thinking and their style of writing, and then editing their work while keeping their original voice is both, challenging as well as exciting. Ghostwriting, on the other hand, has its own set of challenges. Oftentimes, all you have is a one-line brief, and you have to write a full-length novel while sticking to that brief at all times. Challenging indeed!

DJ: Has your career as a ghostwriter ever impacted your career as an author?
As I wrote in the book, The Secrets of Ghostwriting, it is akin to being a surrogate mother. You grow a child, give birth to it when it is fully developed, hand it over to the parent-on-paper, and then forget about it completely. So, to answer your question- No, I have not let my career as a ghostwriter affect my own writing in any way. My books, I write for myself; while ghostwriting, I strictly do for money. After all, how many days can you just have bread and butter? Ghostwriting gets me the pizzas and biryanis. J

DJ: Have I told you I love your book on Ghostwriting? :D. Moving on, as an editor, are there any pointers that you’d like to share with authors?
I have three. First, do not edit or proofread while you are typing. Just let it all flow out on the paper. Two, leave your first draft aside after it is finished for at least a week. Do not pick it up, do not read it. And three, after a week, pick it up again and proofread it at least once before handing it over to the professional.

DJ: What is the one thing that you wish authors followed before approaching an editor?
As mentioned above, please, please proofread your manuscript once if not twice, before you hand it over to the editor. Besides saving a lot of time and effort, this will also ensure that you haven’t missed out on something that you wanted to include, or you haven’t forgotten to take off something you intended to.

DJ: Thank you, I'm going to follow these tips before I send out my next manuscript to you for editing :). If you weren’t a writer, what profession would you choose?
I might still have been stuck in the advertising field. Not that I didn’t enjoy my job, the perks and the money that came with it; I still had begun to feel suffocated somehow and had to get out.

DJ: What are your hobbies and what do you like to do when you’re not reading/editing/writing?
Cooking. More than a hobby, it’s like a stress-buster for me. Not many would know about it, but I happen to be a good cook. At least, no one has died till date after eating my food. I take the fact as a compliment.

Hmm, if we happen to meet, I now know I can look forward to a home-cooked meal :). Thank you for patiently answering all my questions. It was pleasure to read your answers and share them with the readers!



Folks, that was D.R. Downer or DD, for you. Check out his most popular book, a historical fiction - I am the 10th - that's available in Amazon Kindle Unlimited. His upcoming release, Blood or Water - a family drama, will be available on December 6. 


If you're an author who wants to hire an editing expert for your manuscript, visit DD Proofreading & Editing Inc. in Facebook right away!!! 

Leave your comments if you liked this post. Until next time...! 

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I do sound like a snob. :)
    Thank you though, DJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, and you do not sound snobbish!! Whatever gave you that idea? :D

    ReplyDelete